Inktober 2020 prompt#9: throw (2 different ones and 2 attempts at the second)

I've caught up with Inktober.  It is the 9th and I drew the 8 prior prompts all yesterday.  In fact, I've already done my initial sketch of my idea for the 11th, but I have no idea what to do for "throw."  Ideally, if I could actually draw (and by that, I mean draw from imagination as opposed to having to copy things) I would have drawn a werewolf chasing a frisbee.  My friend suggested drawing dice (I wasn't inspired).  I thought of drawing Link with a hookshot (or longshot, or clawshot), but I've already done 2 Ocarina characters so far.  As I type this, I haven't yet decided on what to do.

Okay, after some chatting with my friend and googling things, I decided to draw a Scotsman tossing a caber at a Highland games.  I did that, but I was not happy with it; the proportions were all wrong, the colouring didn't work how how I imagined, and there was no background (not that there has to be, but in this case it would give context).

I ditched that idea and went to my fallback idea, which was Link from The Legend of Zelda, but throwing a boomerang.  I was trying to avoid a Link sketch, as mentioned.  Anyway, when I'd finished, I realised what the things poking out of the left side from behind Link were, the bottom of his sword and shield, but I had not taken into account the perspective and angles and they were way out.  Also, his near arm was shorter than the far one, which was not good.

I hrmm'd and har'd and took a break to prepare dinner (roast veggies and some boiled silverbeet, if you were wondering).  While they were cooking, I returned to the sketchpad and tried Link all over again.  This time, knowing how things should be placed, was better.  So, I'm using today's third sketching attempt as my Inktober submission.  Here's the final copy:

Here's Link with the proportions wrong:

And here's the initial Scotsman that didn't work out as I'd have liked:



Comments

Popular Posts